GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Manager-Financial Controls provides increased emphasis regarding the fiscal oversight of FSU operations and activities by developing and reviewing internal control documentation and procedures and by monitoring, testing, and assessing the integrity of the related financial controls This is a management-level position; the official union classification is Staff Associate, Financial Services.
The Manager-Financial Controls will monitor and test compliance with existing internal controls, identifying internal control weaknesses and implementing corrective actions based upon findings of internal quality assurance reviews and external audits. S/he will implement education and training to ensure employees have adequate awareness and understanding of internal control standards. S/he will maintain and update policies in accordance with the Quality Control Bureau at the Comptroller''s Office and the Internal Control Law, Chapter 647 of the Act of 1989.
On a scheduled basis s/he will provide independent updates regarding FSU''s financial controls and any related findings to the Assistant VP – Finance & Business Services, the Executive Vice President – Administration and Finance, and / or the Board of Trustees Finance and Compliance, Audit, and Risk Sub-Committees.
The Manager may also assist in the review or support the preparation of audit schedules, financial statements, footnote disclosure reports and filings in accordance with internal reporting needs and new FASB and GASB requirements.
This position will provide support to the Assistant Vice President of Finance and Business Services and perform additional duties as assigned.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Document and/or review the documentation of all department internal control procedures / documents; Organize and coordinate the definition/communication and monitoring of FSU''s financial controls; Update flowcharts of system processes; Define risk-based review objectives and procedures; Identify and promote best practices and suggestions for efficiencies;
- Perform testing and / or review testing of internal controls; Conduct on-site internal reviews of departmental operations to ensure compliance with fiscal requirements; Identify, document and communicate control deficiencies; Assist in the process of correcting deficiencies noted; Identify internal control weaknesses and implement necessary corrective actions; Follow up and perform testing on any externally identified control deficiencies and / or audit findings; Report findings and recommendations of financial control assessment;
- Update, revise, and prepare internal controls documentation to reflect current programs, procedures, and policies; maintaining and updating policies in accordance with the Quality Control Bureau at the State Comptroller''s office and the Internal Control Law, Chapter 647 of the Act of 1989; attend Quality Control Bureau trainings on Waste, Fraud and Abuse;
- Assist departments in developing and documenting policies and practices in accordance with applicable college, state, and federal rules, regulations, policies, and statues; Research regulatory requirements. Assist in the implementation of internal controls in new or changing business process.
- Implement education and training to ensure employees have adequate awareness and understanding of internal control standards;
- Assist senior management and/or the Board of Trustees with the internal coordination and follow-up of any external agency audits & reviews, risk assessments, etc.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Finance and Business Services or the Executive Vice President, Administration, Finance, and Technology.
This is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position in the APA bargaining unit at the rank of Staff Associate. The salary is $80,000 to $90,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Framingham State University conducts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks relative to prior criminal convictions and pending cases, as well as Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) checks relative to prior sexual offenses committed as an adult or juvenile on final candidates prior to an offer of employment for all positions. Framingham State University requires specific written authorization to conduct background checks. Failure to provide such authorization shall preclude your application from receiving further consideration.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by May 15, 2017.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or email@example.com.
- Bachelor''s Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years recent public or internal auditing experience or in a position responsible for evaluating internal control systems.
- Minimum of 7 or more years of significant accounting and / or financial reporting experience.
- Experience in data analytics and operational audit tools and methodologies on risk, self-assessment, efficiency, and process improvement.
- Ability to overcome discrepancies in interpretation of policy and / or procedural requirements without compromising the intent of these requirements; Ability to address and negotiate "grey" areas; Capability to present the results of a financial control assessment to all levels of FSU and FSUF management.
- Minimum of 5 or more years in a higher education or non-profit setting.
- Five or more years management experience in internal audit; proven experience in developing an internal controls program from inception.
- In-depth experience working with Razer''s Edge, Quick Books, or Ellucian Banner.
- Master''s degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management or a CIA, CPA, CFA or CGFM certificate.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Excel & Access.
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel; Strong written and verbal communications skills; Flexibility and a self-starter who requires minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Internal Control Law, Chapter 647 of the Act of 1989, and training in Internal Control, Fraud Waste and Abuse.