Position: Investigation Counsel ("IC")
Department: Compliance Department (Conduct Section)
Reports to: Assistant Director, Conduct (qualified solicitor)
1. To filter, analyse and identify complaints against solicitors, registered foreign lawyers, trainee solicitors and unqualified persons of law firms, including: -
a. corresponding with the Complainants, the Respondents and any relevant parties;
b. conducting legal researches;
c. applying knowledge of legal principles and practice;
d. interviewing complainants and taking statements, if necessary;
e. considering sufficiency or otherwise of response and seeking further clarification and explanation if required;
f. liaising with the Complainants and/or the Respondents attempting to resolve the complaint;
2. To prepare reports;
3. To assist the In-house Prosecutor/Assistant Prosecutor/prosecutors in disciplinary proceedings and to attend hearings of disciplinary proceedings, if required;
4. To conduct statutory or informal inspections: -
a. against law firms, with or without the assistance of the Monitoring Accountant;
b. at the Court;
c. at other locations as necessary.
in order to ensure compliance of the Legal Practitioners Ordinance, the subsidiary rules and the Hong Kong Solicitors' Guide to Professional Conduct.
5. To assist the Intervention Agents to conduct the initial intervention of law firms and subsequent handling of the intervention cases;
6. To supervise the work of his/her Assistant.
- HK qualified solicitor with 3+ PQE is a must
- Experience in private practice/ working in other regulatory bodies, e.g., EAA, PCPD is an advantage