Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/napavalley/jobs/2909271/senior-accountant
Please Note:Napa Valley College will be closed for fall recess from December 21, 2020 through January 1, 2021.
Napa Valley College is seeking a Senior Accountant with demonstrated technical skills and customer service skills to join an outstanding team of faculty, staff, and administrators to provide high quality programs and services to our district, our community, and most importantly, our students.The Senior Accountant will perform accounting and fiscal work in the maintenance, examination, verification, and analysis of fiscal records and cost and fund accounting and reporting; and providing support to college financial activities with specific responsibility for ensuring that fiscal policies, practices, and regulations meet compliance requirements. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Accounting.
This is a full-time, 12-months-per-year, classified position.The salary will be appropriately placed on range 22 of the current Classified Salary Schedule.The starting salary range is $4,659 to $5,393/month, with future steps up to $6,555/month.Placement is made based on experience.The college offers a fringe benefit package including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, employee assistance program, and public employee retirement system membership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Analyzes financial information (e.g. general ledger accounts, inventory records, etc.) for the purpose of identifying potential budget variances, compiling statistical information, developing procedures, and conforming to established financial practices and regulatory requirements;
• Collaborates with a variety of individuals and groups, both internal and external (e.g. Business Office staff, college administrative staff, government agencies, etc.) for the purpose of implementing and maintaining services and programs in accordance with established financial policies, practices, laws, and regulatory guidelines;
• Compiles statistical and financial data for the purpose of facilitating third-party reporting, developing budget recommendations, providing financial summaries to other personnel, and ensuring compliance with established guidelines;
• Conducts a variety of complex accounting functions for the purpose of providing requested supporting documentation, information on internal processes, and facilitating activities in support of audit processes;
• Coordinates a wide variety of accounting activities (e.g. annual budget and report preparation, preparation for external audits, etc.) for the purpose of providing required guidance and support;
• Develops complex reporting processes, procedures, and internal controls (e.g. accounting policy development, account tracking, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining the efficient flow of financial processes;
Implements standard accounting procedures for the purpose of ensuring compliance with established accounting practices and all applicable regulatory requirements;
• Leads unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of conveying and gathering information required to perform job functions;
• Monitors financial processes for the purpose of providing internal financial controls throughout the college;
• Presents a wide variety of financial and reported information (e.g. budget overviews, accounting processes, distribution formulas, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information, gaining feedback, and ensuring adherence to established internal controls;
• Provides technical expertise and guidance to staff and administration regarding accounting issues and related financial activities for the purpose of conveying pertinent information regarding the organizations financial operations and ensuring compliance with established policies, practices and regulatory requirements;
• Recommends procedures and actions on issues related to accountancy for the purpose of providing direction and decision making for the college administration;
• Reconciles fiscal information and account balances (e.g. balances with general ledger accounts, individual assets on a selective basis, etc.) for the purpose of verifying accuracy of information and maintaining accurate balances while complying with accounting practices;
• Researches a variety of financial and administrative topics (e.g. accounting trends, foreseeable regulation, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and recommendations that impact college operations;
• Responds to a wide variety of inquiries (e.g. correct account entries, accounting regulations, account financial information, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, direction, and appropriate referrals;
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
A.Applicants must complete the online application through GovernmentJobs.com.All elements of the application, including supplemental questions, must be submitted in order for the application to be considered complete.
Internal applicants are still required to submit a complete application for this position.This includes submission of transcripts and all other required application materials.
The District will not accept materials by e-mail, fax, or mail.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: If you are in need of special services or facilities due to a disability in order to apply or interview for this opening, please contact Human Resources.
Napa Valley College, an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, maintains a drug-free workplace and requires that employees abide by that policy.
For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources:
2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway
Napa, CA 94558
For technical support, contact NEOGOV at (855) 524-5627.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment using pertinent software applications; performing accounting procedures; planning and managing projects; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform advanced math; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: principles of accounting and auditing; general governmental accounting practices; standard office practices and procedures; pertinent codes, policies, regulations, and laws; categorical grants; business telephone etiquette; office application software; and recordkeeping and record retention practices.
ABILITY is required to schedule a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; often gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with data of varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment. Independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: analyzing a variety of financial and statistical information; working under time constraints; communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working with detailed information; and acting with sensitivity toward the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the college personnel and students.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; supervising the use of funds for multiple departments. Utilization of resources from other work units may be required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the organization's services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
• Five (5) years of job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
• Bachelor's degree in job-related area.
• Ten (10) years of job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
• Criminal Background Clearance;
• Tuberculosis Clearance
• Accounting experience in a public agency.
• Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Ellucian Colleague or similar ERP databases.
Internal Number: 14466
About Napa Valley College
Napa Valley College is a vital part of a community known for its cultural amenities and year-round mild climate. We are dedicated to providing quality programs and services that promote learning and enhance individual development. The college has a rich tradition of educating generations of Napa Valley residents. We serve more than 5,000 students at our main campus and at a satellite campus in St. Helena. We are small enough to maintain a nurturing atmosphere, yet large enough to implement innovative educational programs and activities. We are a place where students are ""first and foremost"" in all we do. We are also an hour away from the San Francisco Bay Area. Our Faculty, Staff, and Students Napa Valley College has 114 full-time faculty positions and over 150 part-time faculty. More than 150 classified staff members and 55 administrators support our educational programs. We are a community of people excited about learning, and the college promotes and supports a spirit of teamwork.