The Senior Payroll Accountant monitors, analyzes, coordinates and performs reconciliation of payroll related accounts, processing a variety of vendor remittances and accounting adjustments, tracking and recording employee taxable fringe benefits, initiating labor cost center corrections and the interface of payroll expense data to the finance system, coordinates with internal/external auditors, and prepares OPE rate projections, processes rate increases.
This is a detail oriented position which requires a high degree of accuracy and the ability to perform complex payroll computations in accordance with current laws, contracts and policies. Confidentiality and discretion are required. Attention to detail and accuracy are critical due to the significant impact of errors.
This position works closely as part of our payroll team, reporting to the Director for Human Resources – Payroll & Benefits. The incumbent acts as a lead to both other payroll employees as well as student workers. This position works closely with Compensation & HRIS and coordinates activity with the Payroll Operations Manager, and the other Senior Payroll Accountant. External collaboration includes coordinating with Senior Fiscal Officers to train departmental staff on payroll-related tasks. Works closely with Financial Services and Budgeting departments. This is an unclassified unrepresented, overtime exempt position and provides full participation in our employee benefits, tuition and leave accrual programs.
- BA in Accounting or Finance, or Certified Payroll Professional, or a combination of work experience and closely related coursework which includes 24 credit hours of college-level accounting and 2+ years work experience in an accounting or payroll accounting position.
- Minimum 3 years related work experience in a payroll or related function including an understanding of federal and state wage and hour laws, internal controls, and GAAP.
- Strong verbal and written customer service and communication skills with an ability to understand and explain complex laws and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to establish work priorities, coordinate the work of others, set work goals and timelines and to work somewhat independently while being a valuable member of a small, close team.
- Ability to research and track historical accounting records for accuracy and/or corrections.
- Excellent computer skills including Word and Excel.
- Prior experience in analyzing and problem solving complex payroll taxation, cafeteria benefits and/or vendor reconciliations.
- Prior experience and ability in conducting small group employee training programs.
- Ability to be effective and flexible in a rapidly growing and changing organization.
- Experience with Banner or another integrated payroll database strongly preferred.
Internal Number: 33417
About Portland State University
Located in Portland, Oregon, one of the nation's most livable cities, the University's innovative approach to education combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. The University's 49-acre downtown campus exhibits Portland State's commitment to sustainability with green buildings, while many of the 124 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees incorporate sustainability into the curriculum. PSU's motto, "Let Knowledge Serve the City," inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe. PSU seeks talented individuals who understand our values and strategic goals and enjoy sharing ideas and collaborating in an environment of mutual respect to achieve those values and goals. We are committed to leading through engagement and seek individuals who support this strategy. Engagement describes Portland State's collaborative approach to the exchange of knowledge and resources with local, regional, national, and global partners for mutual benefit of students, faculty, and the community. As a component of the Diversity Action Plan and the President's... Strategic Mission of achieving global excellence, Portland State University strives to become an institution that is recognized nationally and internationally for the accomplishments of its faculty, the reputation of its programs, and the preparation of it students as world citizens. For more information visit http://www.pdx.edu/about-portland-state