The primary objective of this position is to oversee the financial operations and human resources for the Ross School/Ross Institute (Ross). Hands on manager that is able to handle the day to day operations and interact daily with the accounting team and leadership.
The Ross School is situated in the heart of the Hamptons and prides itself on being the only private K-12 school on the East End.
Our mission is to change the way education meets the future. Our boarding students represent many countries around the world including Brazil, China, Japan and Mexico,
Directs and coordinates all financial operations including accounting, compliance, and reporting. Working with the CFO/Head of School and other Senior Administration, maintains the financial integrity of the School/Institute. Monitors and maintains systems of internal control and safeguards the School’s/Institute’s assets; provides both internal and external reports of operations; promotes a service-oriented operation while exercising prudent fiscal judgment.
Essential Duties include the following:Other duties may be assigned.
· Ensures that all “customers” of the Finance Office are treated in a service-oriented manner.
· Supervises the activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, and fixed asset reporting. Analyzes, recommends and implements appropriate policies.
· Oversees monthly closings
· Develop and Mentor Staff
· Oversees Human Resources day to day operations.
· Provides timely budgetary information to Leadership and domain heads to manage and maximize the School’s resources.
· Provides reporting to the Board of Trustees, governmental agencies, banks, creditors, senior administration and others.
· Performs and maintains all aspects of cash management.
· Maintains relationships with financial institutions in conjunction with the School’s banking and investment relationships, overseeing funds are utilized and invested in accordance with the policies and strategies established by the Finance Committee of the Ross Institute Board of Trustees.
· Plans, oversees and facilitates the annual audits. Keeps current on reporting changes of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Informs senior administration of pronouncements that may have a material effect upon the School so that policies may be revised where necessary.
· Keeps current on all legislation of COVID- PPP, CARES, etc
· Analyzes internal control systems and maintains effective controls over financial data. Maintains property, plant and equipment records and control over disposals, transfers and trade-ins.
· Manages pension reporting and compliance (Form 5500, plan updates and amendments, etc.).
· Assures that restricted gifts income is utilized in accordance with donor directives and maintains the integrity of funds. Supervises the accounting for restricted gifts.
· Coordinate and reconcile financial data and reporting between departments: Admissions and Development/Fundraising.
· Understands grants and grant reporting: FEMA, PPP, Mandated Services, etc
· Manages the relationship with ADP in servicing the payroll – transmission of data, corrections, inquiries about individual payroll transactions, obtaining W-2’s and so forth.
· Remits TIAA-CREF employee and employer contributions to TIAA-CREF and prepares allocation to Accounts Payable for recording in general ledger, each pay period.
· Coordinate/transfer funds transfer for payroll and pension payments, each pay period.
· Prepares Cash Flow and updates KPI spreadsheet
· Keeps current on any changes to ADP software or the manner in which information is to be processed.
· Coordinates benefit enrollment for new employees and the annual open enrollment period for current employees.
· Prepares schedules for 990 and all audits
· Oversees all audits Financial, Pension and workers Compensation
· Is the liaison to the insurance carriers for all insuranc renewals
· Assists in preparing and distributing general written notifications about plan changes and in producing periodic employee benefits statements.
· Reviews, reconciles and monitors carrier billings for accuracy, communicating with vendor representatives, as necessary, to update the enrollment rosters. Submits billings for payment according to established procedures.
Controller provides direct supervision to the accounting staff (accounts receivable, accounts payable, and senior accountant).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. An individual must be able to accept and assume assigned responsibilities and make responsible decisions when required.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor Degree in Accounting and Certified Public Account (CPA), and a minimum of ten years experience in a senior level finance position with supervisory responsibilities.
· Accurately compute numbers.
· Hands on manager
· Analyze and interpret financial data.
· Use a personal computer (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Web based applications and internet tools).
· Use the Blackbaud systems with proficiency: Financial Edge & ADP Workforce Now Software.
· Comprehend, create, and carry out instructions furnished in written and/or oral form.
· Problem solve/troubleshoot.
· Prepare budgets and exercise fiscal management. Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
· Write comprehensive reports, letters and/or memos to be distributed to both internal and external audiences.
· Relocate from one physical space to another throughout the course of the day as well as attend off site meetings.
· Read, analyze, develop and interpret documents in English.
· Speak effectively before groups and/or employees of the organization.
· Engage in team work and work cooperatively with others.
· Non Profit Experience Preferred
*Duties and responsibilities of staff members may be modified from time to time by management.