From Bridgewater State University’s inception in 1840 by Horace Mann as one of the first normal schools in America to the current day, BSU has worked to ensure that our students receive an accessible, affordable, and exceptional education. BSU aspires to be the leader in our mission class for closing equity gaps for Black/Cape Verdean, Latinx, Native American, Asian, and other students of color. BSU’s institutional values, the work of the President’s Special Task Force on Racial Justice, and leadership of the Leading for Change Higher Education Diversity Consortium underscore the campus’ commitment to racial equity and other forms of social justice.
The mission of the Department of Student Accounts is to process all student tuition and fee charges, administer the collection of those charges, and disburse funds that may be owed to all students regardless of race. Successful candidates will be staff members that can work with their colleagues to help meet the mission of the Department of Student Accounts in serving and supporting our racially and ethnically diverse campus community.
The Accountant II fosters a welcoming and inclusive environment, working with diverse students, parents, faculty, staff and other involved parties by providing the highest level of student facing front-line customer service (such as in person, by phone, and email) regarding financial status with the University. The Accountant II counsels all current and prospective students and families regarding financing options and financial policies. Ensures the highest level of compliance with federal, state and institutional policies-with complete and accurate processing in the student account. Accountant II's process payments and issue receipts, review accounts for accuracy; complete financial forms and documents and distribute refunds. We dedicate each day to student success and retention, as well as equity, diversity, and inclusion.
This position is full-time, 12 month AFSCME position.
Tour of duty: Monday-Friday, 8:45 AM-5:00 PM (Sat. and Sun. as days off)
(Subject to Change)
This is an AFSCME unit position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
Position Type: AFSCME Classified
1. Receives payments for accounts and issues receipts.
2. Retrieve information from records.
3. Assist a diverse student community with questions regarding their student account, serve as a liaison with appropriate parties to resolve the problem, and ensure issue is resolved contributing to student retention and success.
4. Communicates and builds relationships with a diverse portfolio of agencies by telephone, in writing or in person to resolve accounting discrepancies or obtain data/documentation for reports and/or projects.
5. Prepare financial reports and maintains accounts and records such as cash receipt and cash drawer to reflect financial status.
6. Reconcile financial documents, records, transactions and statements to ensure conformance with established standards.
7. Review reports, forms, etc. for accuracy, completeness and content.
8. Monitor student account balances and communicate past due amounts due to obtain required payments.
9. Prepare and reconcile daily cash drawer.
10. Ensure compliance with laws, regulations and established standards and perform related duties as appropriate.
*Initial assignment only. Subject to change according to institutional needs.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate employment eligibility in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986
1. Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in accounting or auditing, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the following substitutions: I. An Associate’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.
II. A Bachelor’s or higher degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for the required experience.
2. Commitment to customer service excellence/support to enhance an environment of equity, diversity and inclusion.
3. Ability to work directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
4. Knowledge of or ability to understand, apply and explain laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
5. Ability to perform mathematical calculations to reconcile accounts.
6. Knowledge of or ability to learn to analyze and determine the applicability of accounting data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
7. Ability to read and interpret documents such as financial reports, accounts and ledgers.
8. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
9. Ability to gather information by examining records and documents and through questioning individuals.
10. Ability to maintain accurate records, prepare general and financial reports.
11. Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
12. Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
13. Ability to work independently and also in a team setting that prioritizes racial equity and values racial diversity.
14. Ability to apply organizational skills.
15. Experience with cash handling.
16. Experience or ability with technology in effort to perform one’s job.
State Job Specifications are available in the Human Resources Office or on the Human Resources website – www.bridgew.edu/hr.
• Strong cash handling experience
• Superior customer service skills
• Strong communication
• Organizational and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of Banner
• Higher Education experience
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2205983
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.