Revenue Cycle University Medical Center Tucson PBCs Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patientcare, teaching future health-care professionals andconducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for itsspecialized pediatric services including neonatal andintensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies.Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is SouthernArizona's only Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we carefor the most critically injured patients. The hospital isconsistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in theprestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & WorldReport. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful carehas been recognized with Magnet (tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital'sphysicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty servicesinclude comprehensive heart and cancer care, advancedneuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplantprogram.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides leadership for an admitting/registration team. Conducts registration and obtains financial reimbursement for all patients accessing service at medical facilities. Reviews all account information to optimize collection efforts and system recording events to expedite reimbursement and compliance; resolves issues as they arise to promote point of service decisions. Performs financial counseling when appropriate. Explains and obtains signatures on hospital legal forms i.e. Conditions of Admission, Financial Agreement, Advance Directive, Hospital Grievance policy. Collects and releases patient valuables in accordance with Administrative Policies.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Serve as an example to peers for both behaviors and performance of job functions. Provide leadership and training to Patient Financial Services Representatives, and act as a knowledge resource for internal customers. Serve as a primary resource in complex and/or sensitive cases. Oversees patient flow during the shift and assigns job duties to staff to ensure patient flow is maintained at an optimal level. Resolves employee/patient issues that arise during shift and communicates issues to supervisor for follow up. Trains new hires and/or internal transfers thoroughly and provide on-going guidance to ensure their success.
2. Performs registration/check-in processes, including but not limited to performing data entry activities, providing patients with appropriate information and intake forms, obtaining necessary signatures and generating population health summary.
3. Verifies insurance eligibility benefits for services rendered with the payors and documents appropriately. Assists in obtaining or validating pre-certification, referrals, and authorizations.
4. Calculates and collects patient liability according to verification of insurance benefits and expected reimbursement. Explains and provides financial policies and available resources for alternative payment arrangements to patients and their families.
5. Enters payments/charges for services rendered and performs daily payment/charge reconciliation in a timely and accurate manner. Balances cash drawer at the beginning and end of the day and prepares daily bank deposit with necessary paperwork sent to centralized billing for record purposes.
6. Schedules office visits and procedures within the medical practice(s) and external practices as necessary. Maximizes reimbursement by scheduling patients in accordance with payor plan provisions. Confirms patient appointments for the following day as necessary and ensures patients are properly prepared for visits.
7. Demonstrates proactive interpersonal communications skills while dealing with patient concerns through telephone calls, emails and in-person conversations. Optimizes patient flow by using effective customer service/communication skills by communicating to internal and external customers, care team, management, centralized services and HIMS.
8. Assists in responding to requests for patient medical records according to company policies and procedures, and state and federal laws.
9. Works independently under general supervision, leads and follows structured work routines. Works in a fast paced, multi task environment with high volume and immediacy needs requiring independent decision making and sound judgment to prioritize work and ensure appropriateness and timeliness of each patient's care. This position requires the ability to retain large amounts of changing payor information/knowledge crucial to attaining reimbursement for the services provided. Primary external customers include patients and their families, physician office staff and third party payors.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES DIRECTLY REPORTING None MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING None TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES N/A
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, values, and purpose of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS OE - Typical Office Environment: (Accountant, Administrative Assistant, Consultant, Program Manager) Requires extensive sitting with periodic standing and walking. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds. Requires significant use of personal computer, phone and general office equipment. Needs adequate visual acuity, ability to grasp and handle objects. Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone. May require off-site travel
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires knowledge of patient financial services, financial, collecting services or insurance industry experience processes normally acquired over two or more years of work experience. Requires knowledge of medical terminology and a broad understanding of all common insurance and payor types and authorization requirements. Strong knowledge in the use of common office software, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software are required. Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision and to work independently. Requires strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences.
Employees working at the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Work experience with the Company's systems and processes is preferred. Previous cash collections experience is preferred. May have related experience with financial institution or background.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.