Provide complete and accurate financial records and reports in accordance with established accounting policies and procedures which contribute to the efficient management of Dakota Electric Association (DEA).
1. Comply with established DEA safety and operating rules, procedures, and guidelines; and be responsible for reporting un-safe practices to a supervisor.
2. Assist in coordination and administration of the month-end close process for DEA. This includes, but is not limited to:
Preparing and entering journal entries into Infor(Lawson).
Interfacing, reviewing and reconciling billing and cash data from Umax software to Infor(Lawson)
Reviewing journal entries prepared by others in the department
Maintaining projects and chart of accounts in relation to journal entries.
Analyzing and reconciling accounts, intercompany transactions and projects while investigating any variances between actual and budgeted results utilizing Infor(Lawson).
Assisting with maintenance and creation of company, departmental and project reports using Infor(Lawson), Crystal Reportwriter, PowerBI and Excel spreadsheets.
Coordinating the distribution of month-end reports.
Prepare and review financial statements for accuracy and GAAP reporting.
Extracting relevant information from large data sets for analytical purposes
3. Responsible for activity-based accounting through accurate project reporting for DEA.
4. Reconcile all DEA bank accounts monthly including investigation and resolution of any reconciling differences.
5. Prepare Audit Schedules and assist in preparation of external reports as required (i.e. Form 7, Form 990)
6. Complete the bookkeeping and federal and state filings for Helping Neighbors Trust.
7. Prepare and file Electric Utility Report 826 monthly and Electric Utility Report 861 annually.
8. Review and process board expense reports and provide assistance to the Financial Analyst as needed with the annual budget process.
9. Assist with other data requests and reconciliations as needed such as sales tax filings, property tax filings, rate cases, and regulatory filings.
10. Provide Great River Energy reporting for large commercial accounts and conservation program energy credits on a monthly basis. Review power bill invoice for reasonableness and accuracy.
11. Continually analyze accounting procedures, records and reports for accuracy and usefulness to the organization. Submit recommended changes to the Corporate Controller and implement approved changes.
12. Ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal direction.
13. Provide back-up support for the Corporate Controller.
Supervision/Direction of Others
This position does not involve direct supervision, but provides direction and guidance to the Accounts Payable Coordinator, Accounts Receivable Coordinator, and the Payroll/Capital Credits Coordinator.
A bachelor’s degree in accounting is required and 3 to 5 years accounting experience. A CPA is desirable.
Customer Focused – Enjoys helping others, is friendly, listens and responds promptly to customer concerns and complaints and follows through to ensure commitments are met.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Generates creative solutions, develops innovative approaches and ideas, and demonstrates attention to detail.
Technical Skills – Operate a personal computer, including creating and maintaining computer spreadsheets, graphs and presentations using Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Dynamics and the Infor (Lawson)Accounting system. Aptitude for learning and implementing software systems with emphasis on mining data. Pursues training and development opportunities to continuously build knowledge and skills and shares expertise with others.
Communication Skills – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions and participates in meetings.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively, edits work for grammar and spelling, and varies writing style to meet needs.
Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team, and supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Ethics – Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, accepts responsibility for own actions, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures, supports company goals and values, promotes a harassment-free environment, supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Confidentiality – Uses discretion and maintains confidentiality in sensitive and personal matters related to the function.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions for this position are identified on the Office/Professional template.
(All duties should be considered essential functions per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
About Dakota Electric Association
To be considered for available positions at Dakota Electric Association, please visit our website.