The position of chief financial officer of Thundermist Health Center represents an outstanding opportunity for a healthcare executive leader to make a real difference and impact the future of Thundermist and the communities it serves.
Serving under the CEO, the CFO is responsible for executing the financial strategy of the health center. The CFO directs and oversees the organization’s financial operations and accounting practices, They are responsible for the maintenance and administration of the general accounting systems including upkeep of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, depreciation schedule, financial statements and payroll. The CFO works collaboratively with key stakeholders in the external health care community, including other health care provider organizations, state and local government and academic organizations.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Controller
Director of Revenue Cycle Grant Finance Manager Procurement Specialist
1. Promotes a strong belief in Thundermist Health Center’s philosophy, purpose, mission and values.
2. Serves as a member of Senior Leadership Team, working collaboratively with the CEO and other team members.
3. Responsible for all financial accounting and reporting, procedures and internal controls of the department. Responsible for all accounting operations to ensure the execution of sound and generally accepted principles of accounting. Review and update annually the fiscal policies and procedures. Constantly evaluate the internal controls (including billing department).
4. Prepares annual organization budget as well as individual grant budgets; coordinates all department budgets; works with all department heads throughout the year to insure that expenditures adhere to legal and budgetary requirements
5. Directs and coordinates the establishment of budget programs, provides on-going data and training to department supervisors in order to maintain budgetary guidelines.
6. Monitors the organization’s financial position and issues scheduled reports on organization’s financial stability, liquidity and growth.
7. Responsible for grant management and allocation including application process and periodic reporting on grant expenditures and updates. Fiscal management of all public/government and foundation grants.
8. Maintains activities such as custodian of funds, securities & assets of the organization.
9. Develops and coordinates all efforts to attain maximum third party reimbursement including capitated arrangements.
10. Responsible for recruitment, supervision, training, and evaluation of the Finance Department staff including Accounts Payable, Payroll, Accounts Receivable/Billing, Purchasing.
11. Responsible for the center’s relationship with federal, state and local tax authorities.
12. Prepares and supervises the preparation of all regulatory reports (i.e. FSR, UDS, Medicare, Medicaid, IRS Form 990, state tax returns, etc.)
13. Responsible for overseeing and maintaining the employee benefit plans in coordination with AVP of Human Resources
14. Ensures all liability insurance coverage’s including director’s and officer’s, malpractice, general property, etc. are in place each year.
15. Attends and provides staff support for the finance committee meeting of the health center’s Board of Directors and presents the current fiscal situation. Also, attends meetings of and report to Board of Directors at the request of the Chief Executive Officer
16. Fosters and maintains open communication between Administration, Management Team and clinic/program staff and outside entities.
17. Ensures the organization’s compliance with state and federal law and regulation, working with staff to monitor and improve processes related to compliance.
18. Performs other related duties as assigned by Chief Executive Officer.
The Ideal Candidate
The Chief Financial Officer will be an innovative, collaborative and strategic leader who is mission-driven and passionate about serving challenging patient populations. They will have strong interpersonal and communication skills and a solid track record of understanding the financial workings of their company and the healthcare industry.
The ideal candidate will be a highly visible and approachable leader who is focused on internal operations with the ability to analyze date and be forward thinking with long term strategies in mind
The successful candidate will be a progressive thinker who can strengthen Thundermist’s current progress and support continued future growth for the organization. They will be a talented and energetic healthcare executive with leadership experience ideally within a community health setting.
In addition, they will possess:
Education and Experience:
B.S. Degree in Accounting or Finance
CPA, MBA or related advanced degree or certification preferred
Previous financial leadership experience
Experience in automated billing and accounting systems
Knowledge and experience in health care finance, including third party reimbursement and Federal guidelines regarding budgeting and financing
Abilities, Skills, and Other Characteristics:
· Mission-driven; ability to embrace Thundermist’s mission of serving the underserved.
· Possesses a strategic perspective while being detailed-oriented with a strong business analytics acumen.
· Visible, approachable, collaborative with a willingness to be held accountable.
· Values and able to nurture an immensely diverse, inclusive and empowered workforce.
· Politically savvy.
· Able to work well with a variety of healthcare partners on significant initiatives.
· Superb interpersonal, communication, and listening skills.
· Respectful and respected by peers, staff, providers and patients.
Thundermist Health Center is a federally qualified community health center in Rhode Island. The health center serves three communities with locations in Woonsocket, West Warwick, and South County. Thundermist has been improving the health of patients and communities for more than 50 years.
Thundermist has over 700 employees and approximately $60 million in operating revenue. In 2020, Thundermist provided care to more than 46,000 diverse patients with 246,000 patients visits.. Nearly half of Thundermist’s patients are enrolled in Medicaid (49%); 13% are Medicare subscribers; 26% are covered through commercial insurers; and 12% are uninsured.
Thundermist Health Center's mission is to improve the health of its patients and communities by delivering exceptional health care, removing barriers to that care and promoting healthy lifestyles. The health center offers a wide array of medical and non-medical services, as well as a host of community service programs. Thundermist’s range of comprehensive health care services includes: