Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) is the operational core of Stanford University's physical campus. LBRE constructs and maintains the Stanford campus, where advancements across the academic spectrum are made possible. Our work is founded upon the collective value of dedication, innovation, expertise, teamwork, and continuous improvement. We are committed to serving the university's academic mission, as well as preserving and enhancing Stanford's 8,180 acres, and pride ourselves on supporting the teaching and research of the university as "Caretakers of a Legacy."
Who We Are:
Finance & Administration (F&A) provides the foundation for Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) operations including budgets, capital funding coordination and documentation, information technology systems, authority and approvals, internal controls, compliance, accounting and reporting and human resources for LBRE. We are the liaison with other university financial departments, Research Administration, Human Resources, the Cabinet and Board of Trustees.
Within F&A is the Finance for Academic Projects team. Our team is an integral part of LBRE, and this position will play a vital role in contributing to the success of the department.
Who you are:
You have a passion for all things math, systems and business. You realized that Accounting perfectly blends these together and this is why you pursued a career in Accounting! You are also an accountant who is highly analytical and communicates effectively with anyone within an organization. You possess strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal. You have a proven track record of using analysis to influence decision-making and can successfully articulate insights and outcomes to executives and peers. That means that you can take financial data and translate that into a story that is understandable for our non-technical staff and leave the financial jargon out of it when necessary.
You are more than comfortable with technology, both financial systems and non-financial systems. You embrace technology as you realize that it is a perfect complement to financial data analysis.
Proactive monitoring of transactions is second nature to you, not only that but you are able to interpret internal policies, rules and compliance along with external regulations to ensure that the proper action is taken. You understand the importance of strong internal controls and use that knowledge to make processes better.
You can Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial significance; recognize exceptions, conduct in-depth analysis using advanced technical knowledge and experience. You possess excellent excel skills.
You like to share your knowledge with others because you thrive in a collaborative environment. While you may be new to a role or even new to using a system, once you learn it, you enjoy sharing that knowledge with team members.
You are meticulously detail oriented, insatiably curious, and full of integrity.
Who will you support:
There are many departments at LBRE, your primary focus will be on, but not limited to the Department of Project management (DPM). DPM is responsible for managing most of the construction activity for the University. DPM currently has a construction portfolio of 250 projects totaling more than $2.3 billion.
What work will you do**:
* Responsibilities include setting up requisitions for vendor contracts, coding and reviewing invoices, tracking, and paying invoices, monitoring project spending as it relates to the project budget and eventually closing projects.
* Reconcile data in LBRE's project management software to the University's Oracle financial system. Ensure accuracy and timeliness of data in the project management software.
* Engage in continuous critical analysis of existing systems and processes; make recommendations to achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Define requirements, develop, and implement complex test cases, perform testing and analyze results.
* Represent organization to client group(s) and external partners; serve as subject matter expert on matters that involve technical, financial, or subject matter expertise.
* Assess client and business needs and formulate recommendations to determine approach to managing and completing processes.
* Interpret, implement, and ensure compliance with university policies and procedures.
* May train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
* Liaison with Controller's office to resolve and correct issues.
* Assist with special projects as necessary.
**Additional duties as applicable to the role
What we are looking for:
* You have a Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or Economics and eight years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
* You are proficient with excel - advanced formula use.
* Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
* Ability to interpret and apply advanced accounting knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
* Demonstrated knowledge of financial systems and aptitude to learn new systems.
* Strong verbal and written communication, and presentation skills.
* Excellent analytical skills and ability to work both independently and as a team player.
* Proven ability to perform with a high degree of accuracy under tight deadlines and ability to effectively multitask.
* Demonstrated project management skills and ability to contribute/lead as part of a multi-functional team.
Preferred but not required:
* Proficiency with Oracle systems in general
* MBA or CPA
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
* Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
* A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
* A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
* Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply for Job" button. Don't forget to attach your resume.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Why work at Stanford?Stanford University has changed the world, over and over again.We are one of Silicon Valley's largest employers - and also one of the most unique. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. This passion makes Stanford an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging place to work. At the same time, our traditions of respect and collaboration sustain a humane, supportive environment in which to pursue your life and your career.At Stanford you'll work with bright, diverse, dedicated people. You'll find encouragement to learn and grow. You'll enjoy excellent benefits and an outstanding environment. How will it change you?