Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon University's Finance Division provides financial management, enterprise planning and stewardship in support of education, research and strategic goals of the university. By providing data, insight, and analysis, we assist leadership and the university community in the financial decisions that fulfill its mission while maintaining a position of financial strength.
The Finance Division is currently searching for a Staff Accountant. Join our team and you will play a key role in the university's Financial Reporting group by performing accounting activities related to the maintenance of a complete and accurate general ledger. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for the analysis and preparation of managerial reports, reconciliations, journal entries and financial statement data.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment!
Core responsibilities will include:
- Perform accounting activities in accordance with accounting principles and standards. Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations, laws and reporting requirements.
- Reconcile accounts, post journal entries and maintain a complete and accurate general ledger in accordance with accounting principles and reporting schedules.
- Research and reconcile GL object codes and assists in the preparation of financial statements such as balance sheets and financial statements.
- Collect, compile, verify and analyze financial information so that senior management has accurate and timely information for making decisions. Provide accounting advice and/or consultation within client areas.
Other position responsibilities include:
- Accumulating financial data to respond to survey requests from third parties.
- Collecting responses to internal and external audit requests for the Financial Reporting team.
- Reconciling and processing payments made to inventors under the university's intellectual property policy.
- Utilizing Oracle's Grants Management module to assist with recording restricted gifts and discretionary funds.
- Performing related duties and special projects as assigned.
You must demonstrate:
- Ability to work well with others and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when working with confidential information.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail; keep and maintain accurate and detailed reports and records.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Adaptability and openness to change as the department and organization evolves.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Finance Division. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
- CPA license or progress towards CPA license preferred.
- 3+ years of experience recording general ledger activity in a non-profit or university environment. Preference will be given to candidates with Oracle experience.
Are you interested in this opportunity? Please apply!
- Successful Background Che
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU's COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus.
Financial Planning, Analysis, Accounting and Reporting
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance